Nana Patekar’s demise has left the entire film industry in deep sorrow and shock. The veteran actor passed away on October 8, 2026, at 75 due to cardiac arrest in Goa. Sai Deodhar, who is a film director and TV actress, had an exclusive interaction with Zoom/Telly Talk India, where she recalled unknown stories of her dear Nana Kaka. The Juhi Mui star revealed that Nana shared a strong bond of friendship with her parents, Debu Deodhar and Sharbani Deodhar. Sai mentioned Nana Patekar would consider her as his daughter.
Sai Deodhar On Nana Patekar’s Death
During a candid chat with us, Sai Deodhar opened up about her reaction after learning about Nana Patekar’s death. She was supposed to call him today (October 8) to invite him for a screening of her upcoming film. Sai said, “I am still in disbelief. My mom had a conversation with Nana Kaka just 4 days ago. We were very close as a family. I was looking forward to calling him for the screening of my film at Jagran. I was supposed to call him today. He was my mama. Woh mere muh bole Mama the. My parents were his friends even before he became a star. He would come at night and take us out for dinner or to eat ice cream.”
Sai Deodhar played Dimple Kapadia’s son in Nana Patekar’s directorial venture, Prahaar – The Final Attack. She recalled a fun incident when Nana had no money when he took her to eat ice cream in the night. “At one point of time, Nana Kaka thought my father had money, whereas my father also thought Nana Kaka had money. Eventually, we ended up having no money when we went to eat ice cream. My parents were associated with his film, Prahaar. I acted in Prahaar. I played Dimple's son in Prahaar. During Prahaar, he used to party with my parents every day. They were his closest friends. For him, our house was his house. I have seen an amazing side of him. My father was Nana Kaka's right hand," Sai Deodhar recalled.
Sai further stated that Prahaar initially had 5 to 6 assistant directors, but by the end of the filming, her mother was only left as a chief assistant director. She revealed, “Earlier, there were 5 to 6 assistant directors on Prahaar, but by the end of the film, there was only one assistant left, who was my mother. Handling Nana Kaka was another thing. My father was as mad as Nana Kaka.”
Nana Patekar’s Funny Advice to Shakti Anand
Sai Deodhar also revealed that Nana Patekar was present at her wedding with Shakti Anand. She recalled a fun incident from her wedding. The actress said, “At my wedding, he was the only one who told Pandit ji to finish the rituals quickly, as he wanted to enjoy them. He even told Shakti that if I trouble him, just let him know, but don't say anything to her. He was very protective of me. When my father passed away, he was with us.”
Sai Deodhar also stated that Nana Patekar used to love her a lot. She revealed he had once opened a shop for her to buy a video game. The Mogra Phulala star said, “I remember he had bought his first car, a Safari. He came at night and woke all of us up. He asked us to sit in the car. We sat, and he took us on a drive in the night. During Prahaar, Nana Kaka had opened a shop for me and purchased a video game. I was like his daughter. He would pamper me a lot.”
Nana Patekar’s Help To Sai Deodhar’s Mother
Sai Deodhar shared how Nana Patekar would help her mother financially. The actress revealed, “He was like a child. He would suddenly get angry like a kid. He was a very genuine person. My parents used to live in a chawl. Nana Kaka would transfer 10 per cent of his income into my mother's account, as he had considered her as his sister. Inn sab cheezon ka koi mol hi nahi hai. Malhar and I grew up together.”
Sai mentioned that Nana never wanted to give anyone trouble before his demise. She said, “Knowing him as a person, I don't think he would have wanted any other way. I never wanted anyone to get troubled because of him. He would always say, 'Main jaunga toh aise jaunga'. I think God kept that dignity of his. Honestly, to see him in the hospital in ill condition would have been the most heartbreaking thing for me. He was a lion. He went like a king.”
“I will only remember him in my laughter. In our last conversation, he wanted to meet his granddaughter (my daughter). I will always remember him as my Mad Mama,” Sai Deodhar concluded.
Nana Patekar’s funeral will take place on Thursday evening at his residence in Pune with full state honours.